Ceiling lights are an electrical convenience most people cannot live without. The flick of a switch enlightens and brightens an entire room, unless, of course, your lights suddenly stop working. When you call an electrician to come and perform an electrical repair in your ceiling lights, he or she may find one (or more!) of the following causes prior to fixing the lights.
Rodents in Your Home
Rats, mice and squirrels all have a bizarre penchant for chewing on plastic-covered electrical wires. The plastic that they chew off they use as insulation for nests in your walls or attic. If you hear some scurrying around overhead, and then your ceiling lights do not work, it may be the result of rodents. When your electrician checks out the wiring, he or she will be able to tell right away if you have a rodent problem. Placing traps in your attic will help keep the pests away from the new wiring your electrician installs.
Since the ceiling lights just below your roof will have exposed wiring (i.e., wiring that is not buried under insulation fibers), it is important to make sure your roof does not leak right over the tops of these wires. When a roof leaks heavily and the water makes contact with the wiring of your ceiling lights, it can repeatedly short-circuit the lights and stop them from working at all. Since this is a highly dangerous situation, you will want your electrician to address the problem and not attempt to address the electrical issues on your own. You can, however, fix the leaky roof so that your lights will no longer short-circuit every time it rains.
Over-Zealous Insulation Installer and Spray-On Insulation
As funny as it may sound, an over-zealous insulation installer may cover the wiring of your ceiling lights with spray-on insulation by accident. When all he or she is trying to do is seal out the drafts from around the base of the ceiling lights, the spray-on insulation can expand too much and too fast. As the spray-on insulation comes out of the can, it rapidly expands, encasing everything around it. When it encases the electrical wiring on your ceiling lights, it cuts off the conductivity of the wires and can even short them out by bending them out of place or disconnecting them. Your electrician (like those at Morris Electric Contracting & Service, Inc.) will need to carefully chip away at the hardened spray-on insulation to expose the wires, and then possibly replace the wires if they are too badly damaged.